Instead of reaching for the store bought energy bars, reach for healthier ones made from home. Store bought energy bars are often leaded with preservatives and too much added sugar. Try this Carrot Cake & Cashew Bar recipe! Tasty and loaded with fiber and omega 3's!
Makes 8 bars
* ½ cup dates, pitted
* ¾ cup raw cashews (or a nut of your liking)
* ¼ cup finely grated carrot
* Dash sea salt - optional
* 1 cup warm water - optional
* 1/2 cup of raisins- optional or in place of dates
1. Combine the dates and warm water in a small bowl. (If the dried fruit you are using is already super soft and moist, you can skip the soaking step.) Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes, until the fruit is soft.
2. In a small food processor fitted with an "S" blade, combine the dates and nuts, then process until the nuts are broken down and the batter looks uniform. Add carrots (and raisins) and process again.
3. Place mixture on parchment paper, on a flat surface. Press the dough into a flat, rectangle shape. Once the dough is evenly thick, you can slice it into about 8 bars. Or can shape the dough into a dozen or so small round balls.
4. Separate the bars and wrap each in individual parchment paper; and store them in a sealed container in the fridge until firm.
For a different flavor, substitute unsweetened shredded coconut for carrot for the shredded carrot to make a coconut bar.
Remember, BeeFitters, food determines how we feel and heal!