Artichokes are one of the best vegetables you can eat for better health. Anthocyanins, quercetin, rutin, and many other antioxidants contained in fresh artichokes offer a range of health benefits ranging from cancer prevention and immune support to protection against heart and kidney disease. Artichokes also contain lots of fiber, about 10 grams per artichoke.
Below is a great recipe that incorporates the green veggie. Enjoy!
• 64 oz. of vegetable broth – organic or homemade
• Juice of 1 lemon
• 4-6 artichoke hearts – water-packed, chopped
• ½ package of button mushrooms, chopped
• 6 chopped asparagus - optional
• 1 egg or use the egg whites only (optional)
• 1 cooked chicken breast chopped or torn – optional
• 1/3 cup of cooked brown or red organic rice
1. Heat broth in a large pot to simmering.
2. Add chopped artichokes, uncooked mushrooms and asparagus.
3. In a medium sized bowl, beat the egg and add the lemon juice. Slowly pour ½ cup of the hot broth into the egg mixture and stir. Then slowly pour the egg mixture back into the pot and stir into the soup.
4. If you are using the chicken and cooked rice, add now.
6. Simmer 10 - 15 minutes and serve hot.
Can be stored in refrigerator for 4 days;
Makes enough to cook once, eat twice or more – or share! Remember, Folks, food determines how we feel and heal!