Having trouble getting your daily requirement of vegetables into your diet? Preparing soups is a great way to get in a few servings. Try this tasty kale and white bean soup. A big bowl of this hot meal will get you at least a couple of servings of your daily requirement. And, it's a great immune boosting recipe for the winter months. Remember, BeeFitters, food determines how we feel and heal!
• 2 TBSP olive oil
• 1 small finely chopped onion and carrot (optional)
• 6 garlic cloves, minced
• 2 leeks (white and light green parts) rinsed and chopped
• 1/2 bunch of washed and torn kale
• ½ bunch of washed and torn escarole
• 1 (15-oz.) can no-salt-added Cannellini beans rinsed and drained
• 1 small sweet potato OR 2 cups of butternut squash - peeled and chopped into small cubes
• 8 cups vegetable/chicken broth
• 2 fresh sprigs rosemary
• 2 fresh thyme sprigs
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
• Preheat oven to 325. Place chopped sweet potato/butternut squash in a shallow roasting pan that has been sprayed with olive oil (via oil mister). Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt. Roast for about 20 minutes until soft.
• Heat olive oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and leeks and saute until the onions are translucent and fragrant.
• Add the kale and saute´ about 2 minutes. Add the escarole and saute´ another 2 minutes until the kale and escarole are both wilted. Add a pinch of salt.
• Add the broth, and beans and cover and simmer until the beans are heated through, about 5 minutes.
• Add the roasted sweet potato/butternut squash. Season with rosemary and thyme, salt and pepper, to taste.