In the News....
Several of you have asked me about the recent news stories on the benefits of MCTs and if it’s the weight loss “miracle” you’ve been hoping for. Here’s what you need to know:
MCTs – or medium chain triglycerides -- are the medium chain-length fatty acids. All oils contain long, medium or short chain fatty acids (or all three). There are actually four types of MCTs, all known for their amazing health benefits. The healthiest MCT is lauric acid, and coconut oil is the richest, all-natural source of MCTs (50%!) In fact, coconut oil is the ONLY source that has ALL FOUR MCTs.
MCT oil, however, usually contains just the three capra fatty acids, and NOT the lauric acid. So, for the maximum benefit, the best source is the unprocessed, all-natural source of lauric acid: coconut oil. Add it to your morning smoothie or use it for sautéing vegetables.
Benefits of Fatty Acids/MCTs
- They increase the amount of energy you use, burning more calories which can help you lose weight. It also helps reduce your hunger, so you may eat less.
- They go right from your digestive tract to the liver for a fast source of energy.
- People who eat coconut oil have a lower incidence of heart disease.
- Lauric acid is an antimicrobial; it can kill bacteria and viruses.
- MCTs may improve the symptoms of brain disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease.
What is most important to understand is that there is no “magic pill.” Vibrant health can be achieved by getting to the root cause of food behaviors and symptoms and healing the body with healthy nutrition, wellness and lifestyle habits.
Source for article: Crave Marketing and Nutrition, June 2015.