Popeye Had it Right!
Yes...Popeye had it right when it comes to eating vegetables, especially leafy green spinach! Food science studies continue to show that eating spinach helps improve health and reduce the risk of many health issues, from cancer to memory loss to strokes. Here’s just a short list of what makes Spinach a SuperFood!
• Reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease and strokes
• Protects against the occurrence of cancer, including colon, lung, skin, oral, stomach, ovarian, prostate, and breast cancer
• Helps regulate blood pressure
• Builds muscle and strong bones
• Helps prevent memory loss and cognitive decline
• Protects against skin problems such as eczema and psoriasis
• Acts as a natural diuretic and laxative
• Performs as an anti-inflammatory
• Reduces migraines
• Prevents cataracts and macular degeneration
What’s in Spinach?
One of the more exciting recent discoveries about what’s in spinach is the presence of glycoglycerolipids. You may not have heard glycoglycerolipids before because people are just starting to talk about them. Glycoglycerolipids are the key players in plant photosynthesis, and new research shows that they can prevent inflammation and damage in the digestive tract. What else are you getting in a cup of spinach? Here’s how it stacks up by percentage of Daily Values:
Vitamin K 987.2%
Vitamin A 628.8%
Vitamin B 232.3%
Vitamin B 625.8%
Vitamin C 23.5%
Vitamin B 114.1%
Vitamin B 35.5%
Be sure to check back for some amazing smoothie recipes that incorporate spinach and actually taste good! Remember, Folks, food determines how we feel and heal!
Sources: Crave Marketing, LLC, 2014 and www.wholefoods.com